Thursday, March 1, 2007

Writing

Who was it that said that if you just start writing, the story will come? Or maybe they said that if you develop the characters, the plot would come.
Anyway, I have wanted to try some writing, so tonight I just started writing what came to mind. I got a paragraph done and then I was done. That's it. De nada. Zippo. Nothing else to put down. Here's what I wrote:

In a tree near the edge of the rain forest lived a monkey. Not just any ordinary, wimpy sort of tree with flimsy branches, but a tree of stature and strength with wonderful pockets formed by spreading branches where one could curl up for a secure nap or store fruit for later munchings. It had perfectly balanced limbs that curved upward to form an umbrella of almost impenetrable thickness above, except when the wind blew, and then a delightful mosaic of shadows would play on the branches below. A latticework of vines surrounded the tree making it a wonderful launching spot for swings and soarings through the air. The tree was mostly straight, mostly that is, except where it should have been curvy, for there is was curvy. And up, nearly at the top, before the trunk split into the myriad branches that sprang from it was a strategically placed hole. One that had occurred naturally, but nonetheless was in just the right spot. Into this hole the monkey sometimes crept in the worst of weather and was quite snug when he did so, for over time he had lined it with softest mosses and leaves and made it into a quite habitable home, even though monkeys don’t usually live in holes. But he didn’t spend much time there, for he loved the space and freedom and vision that his perches outside provided.

So there the monkey will sit for the rest of his days, wrestling with no problem larger than whether to retreat into his nice mossy hole or venture onto a vine for a little swing. I can't think of one solitary conflict that I want to foist on the cute little guy. And I'm not sure I want to introduce him to any of the other characters in my imagination. He has such a nice little world, I want to just leave him there.

2 comments:

Dancingirl said...

I did smile! And I want to hear more about the little monkey. Surely he could have some benign problem...like... He likes marshmallows and can't find a ready supply there in the jungle! Or he's lonely and wants a friend.
Thanks for the lift!

Katrina said...

Monkey sounds adorable. Maybe his purpose is just to entertain. Can he find someone to play with? :)