Thursday, March 29, 2007

In Texas

I'm in Texas and it's hard to get onto the Internet. The past three days I have been in Salado at the Stagecoach Inn and true to the name, they are living in bygone days. There was no internet access. Today I went to a coffee shop with my laptop and spent more than an hour trying to get on-line and for some reason couldn't. I don't know if it was my computer or their server or what. I do know that it was frustrating.
I did have a chance to try and get some photos of the bluebonnets...but, it decided to rain today, the day I had set aside to go out. And now it's supposed to rain the rest of my time here. Sigh of frustration.
I was the youngest one at the reunion though! We decided that it was very fitting that I be there since it was the class of '48 and I am 48. I was sort of an honorary member for this reunion. My dad sold quite of few of his book, which is great. One of the ladies who had read it couldn't quit raving about it.
Well, I'm really tired. No questions tonight. Oh wait, this came up today. Give a one word answer to this question. What did Jonah preach?

7 comments:

SUSAN said...

PAULA...I am going to be in Salado tommorrow at the Salado Mansion.
http://saladomansion.com/
I am meeting from sister-in-law for lunch.
I live 15 minutes from Salado!! I thought you were in College Station. How long will you be in Salado? If you get this, email me and let me know how long and your cell phone number. Maybe we can hook up.
sclonts@hot.rr.com

Susan

SUSAN said...

Oh, answer.....repentence?

Susan

NoVA Dad said...

Hmm; I don't recall Job preaching anything -- but if his life was used as a preaching tool, I would think it would be trust/faith. Trust and faith that all things are happening because of the will of God, and the end result of any process will turn out fine if left in the hands of God.

NoVA Dad said...

Whoops!! I misread; it's Jonah. Yes, he preached repentance. My oldest daughter loves "Veggie Tales" movies, and her favorite is their version of the story of Jonah.

However, if you use Jonah's life as a preaching tool, it would be forgiveness -- God forgave Jonah despite his repeated attempts to avoid the mission to which he had been called.

Paula said...

Okay, here's the deal. That was the question I missed on my final in Bible school. You gave the same answer they did, which is repentance. But where does he preach that? I put destruction and got it wrong. I still feel cheated thirty years later! Show me one place he preached repentance!

NoVA Dad said...

Well, repentance is actually used in Jonah in two contexts: Jonah was preaching that to the residents of Nineveh (an example being 3:8 - "But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands."). However, repentance is also presented in the book in the context of God repenting from his promise to destroy Nineveh because of the sins of the residents: 3:9-10 - "Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not? And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not."

I think that repentance is also found in the fact that following the incident with the whale, Jonah repents of his earlier decision to ignore God's request that he preach in Nineveh. Repentance is found throughout the book in different forms, and not all of them necessarily use the single word "repent."

Dancingirl said...

Paula, I don't know if you're still reading comments here, but I think you're right. Jonah preached warning... Ninevah's destruction. However he did know the nature of God and I think, feared that the Ninevites would repent and so didn't want to preach anything! The Ninevites heeded Jonah. They believed destruction was coming and so repented. But he preached warning (or destruction).

I completely understand your frustration!