Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine's Day plus one

No school again today. Yesterday we were home as well. They had predicted snow for Tuesday, it didn't come until the afternoon and was wimpy then. But then the freezing rain came. It left everything covered with ice. It was beautiful and deadly. We could hear the canon shots of trees falling in the forest. Then as the sun came out in the afternoon, we heard the constant cascade of ice as it fell from the trees. It amazes me how something so small can build, drop on drop, to destroy things so much larger and older. The transparent weight destroys it's foundation.
It reminds me of the book I'm reading. It's called The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I almost never buy fiction anymore, but for some reason I bought this off the best seller's table having never heard of it or had it recommended. It's a sad story, but their is so much truth in it. The silent weight of a secret is in the process of destroying a family. I wonder how often our secrets destroy us, even those we keep to protect those we love. I wonder if the 'village' atmosphere perhaps kept people honest since everyone knew everyone else's business? I'm sure it was uncomfortable, but at least people weren't budened with the ghosts of the past.
Today I take dd to see a counselor. I hope it goes better than last week did. I felt emotionally raped when I left last Thursday. With hindsite, I wish that I had just refused to talk about some things that really weren't relevant to the discussion. Why did they need to know every painful detail of my life? Did it really matter for dd or were they just satisfying their own curiosity? By the end of the day last week, I felt like I deserved the title of "Most Dysfunctional Person" and yet I know I'm not. It was a deep well to pull out of, but I think I'm back on the edge now. And I'm so grateful to be out of the pit.

1 comment:

MaryD said...

I wondered about that when you mentioned something on LampPost. I hate when mental health professionals abuse their position of trust! I hope it goes better for you next time. I hope you will feel free to tell them when they cross boundaries that you don't see needing to be crossed-- tell them you don't feel safe in sharing it after the way it went last time. If they haven't established trust and safety for you, I hope you will protect yourself from invasion. That's their job, to establish safety before asking you to be open about things.