Thursday, February 15, 2007

Just doing some more thinking

The kids still don't have school tomorrow. So many houses are still without power, we were some of the fortunate ones. I would say we were blessed, but does that mean that those who lost power were not blessed? Was God for some unknown reason kinder to us than He was to them? He says that the rain falls on the just and the unjust. I know that He is sovereign and in control, but does that mean that He decides which houses lose power? I'm just not sure. I tend to think that He lets nature pretty much do its' own thing, only intervening when it's important to Him.
I was thinking today about why I don't post more on LampPost. I'm sure there is more than one reason. But I know that one of the main ones is that I have so little education. And that's not a 'poor me' thing, because if it had been a priority, I could have educated myself. But most of the women have multiple degrees and encountered things in their college classes that are completely new to me. I don't think I ever studied any artist, I had only one memorable literature class and I had no science at all. What can I really contribute? I'm not doubting my intelligence, I know I have that, though I do think a few of the old brain cells have died. But I don't have the education, the experience, the exposure. And it's funny. I do like to learn. I was trying to teach myself German, I have taught myself some about photography, I enjoy biographies. So it's not that I am completely intellectually lazy, it's more, I think, that I don't even have a springboard to jump from. And so I don't say much, even though I usually read the posts. I wanted to change that and become more a part of things, but so far it's just not working.

3 comments:

SUSAN said...

I always think of you as so smart, Paula! You have been so many places that I will never go, have the gift of hospitality, you are an excellent photographer, you speak at conferences, you know the ins and outs of Washington,you have raised a large family, goodness you have tons to talk about. I didn't know a lot of women at LampPost had multiple degrees. I guess ignorance is bliss...I might have been intimidated had I known that. hehe
You have so much to offer, Paula, don't underestimate yourself.

Susan

NoVA Dad said...

Paula:

First, thanks for popping by my blog recently -- I was glad to have you see what's going on in my neck of the woods. Hope you don't mind, but I've linked yours to mine so I can keep up with what you've been up to.

I don't know you as well as Susan (yet), but I agree wholeheartedly with her assessment that you shouldn't underestimate yourself. I've become a member of several message boards in recent years that deal with the search for the Historical Jesus, the examination of extra-canonical gospels, and C.S. Lewis, just to name a few, and I've found that nearly everyone there has umpteen degrees and levels of expertise and experience that I just don't have (with only 1/3 of a graduate degree in theology under my belt). However, I took a leap and started posting from time to time -- and found that those on the list who can offer so much more than me are receptive to my questions and comments and welcome them.

If even 1/10 of what Susan has said is true, then I have a strong suspicion that you have more to offer to LampPost (what is that, by the way??) than you're giving yourself credit for. I'd say "Go for it!" You might be surprised by how welcome your comments really are!!

Best,
Matt

Dancingirl said...

I think you're one of the most thinking people I know! And, just so you know, I don't think many at LP have multiple degrees. A few do, yes. Some of us have a college degree. But all of us love learning and are trying to do it... just like you are with photography and speaking and Bible study.

Love you.