Friday, April 6, 2007

Prayer and gratitude

Last night I walked out on the pier with my husband. I asked if they ever saw dolphins up close out there and they said yes but not usually that time of night. So inside, I just said "God, if you want to give me some dolphins that would sort of be a 'freebie' for You. I mean it wouldn't change history or anything or even have to effect anyone else." And wouldn't you know it, a whole pod of dolphins came in really close.
Then, this afternoon, walking on the beach, I found a huge shark's tooth. I didn't pray about that one. So I began thinking about prayer, gifts from God and thankful hearts. Did God cause me to find the shark's tooth? I don't know. But what I do know is that whether He caused it, or allowed it, or didn't really care one way or the other, my heart should still be thankful. Because whether He had anything to do with the shark's tooth or the dolphins, I have eyes to see, and legs that let me walk on the beach and hands with which to pick up shells and focus my camera. And none of that is because I deserve it. And whether I find what I'm looking for or not, I have so much to be thankful for.

1 comment:

Dancingirl said...

Yes. When I was talking with Juli a couple of week ago about anger with God over her kitten's death, I thought about that. We are so much more prone to blame God than to thank Him. When even little things go wrong I ask Him why and wonder why He's allowing it. But how many, many times have I not thanked Him for all the little things, the tiny details that are beautiful, that go right.

So cool about the dolphins!