Thursday, April 26, 2007

Choice

I was just reading a book on the irony that the more freedom we have in choices, the more of a burden it is. I think I have known that instinctively for a long time. I have two different commisaries I can shop at. One is large and has almost everything you can imagine. The other is small with limited choices. I almost always go to the small one, it's easier for me. I don't have to make as many decisions, weigh as many options, have as many doubts on my final selection. But there are so many good points in this book. Some of them I have done, some I need to practice and some were new to me.
Unfortunately, it was a library book. I'm going to have to buy my own copy so that I can underline and make notes to my hearts content. Reading a book that I can't mark up I lose countless profound, wise and insightful thoughts. : ) And then of course, I never think of them again. I did make mental notes...pages 26, 61 and 103 all had something I wanted to talk about. But now that I look back on those pages, I'm not sure what it was. Aah, the mind is a terrible thing to lose!

3 comments:

kc bob said...

The choices of the head are one thing but conencting those choices with our heart - that is the essence of life.

MaryD said...

Hey Paula, instead of commenting on your profound thoughts, I'm just piping up to say: I hate reading a book that someone else has written in. It's a pet peeve because their thoughts color my impressions so much... so I've been in the habit of keeping a notebook/journal with my books so even if I don't own 'em I still have the notes... then I can loan someone a book too without my thoughts influencing theirs! SO maybe I'm too easily influenced? But it's another way around the problem!

Katrina said...

Now that one I *knew* you were thinking about! LOL I have *got* to get that book . . . . and get the time to read it!