Sunday, April 29, 2007

I got my dog!

But I haven't seen him yet. Last night my husband drove up to the Philly area to pick him up. I kept asking if he was cute and the answer I got was, "The night's dark and he's black...I can't see him." Since he's a puppy, I'm going to assume he's cute!
But now I have the hard job of deciding on a name. It's a much harder decision than one would think. For me, the name has to have a reason for being chosen. These dogs are believed to have come from Norway originally so a Norwegian name would be good. But many Norwegian names, that have wonderful meanings, such as 'Son of the eternal king' aren't pleasant to the ear. The name that corresponds to that meaning is 'Arkin'. Then I would consider a historical name. Churchill was suggested, and I like it, but it doesn't roll off of my tongue easily...I just can't see yelling 'Churchill' to have him come. Then a name might be good that depicted his size, which will probably be over 150 pounds. But there isn't really much to choose from...Big? Monster? Bear?
So names I have considered seriously are Jackson (for Stonewall), Ole, a Norwegian name, Loki, the equivalent of a Norse Puck, Bjorne, Norwegian for 'bear', Hobbes or Luther, to go with our old dog, Calvin and actually countless more. I haven't reached a decision though. Hopefully when I see him, I'll recognize him and know who he is!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I'm still voting for Loki . . . although I doubt that counts for much! LOL :)