Sunday, June 10, 2007

Freedom and slavery

Maybe I'm just dense, I don't know. But something became so clear to me this morning. When the Bible talks about us being free from the slavery of sin, it had always seemed to me that we were just moving from one owner to another. That our ownership was transferred when we became believers.
But this morning I realized it's not that at all. Instead it's as if we are in a kingdom and there are three layers. There is the king, then the owner, then me, the slave. When I am set free from sin it removes a layer. So I am now a free citizen under the king. I have always been under the king and subject to his laws and decrees but now I don't have to obey my old master. So I am free to do the same things but I am also free to not do them if I so choose. So it's not that bondage had been replaced, it has been completely removed.
I don't know if anyone else can see or even needs the differentiation, but for me it was like a light bulb going off.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

I really like that description. I'll have to ponder it. :)

Karen said...

You're deinitely not dense. You've identified such a great distinction. Getting rid of the middleman (who is only mucking up the works). I really like the thought of the "rules" never having changed, but being under the direct and final authority.
Thank you.
Karen

Susan said...

I love those "light bulb" moments when God speaks!
Susan